Western Express Day #1 Pueblo, CO to Westcliffe, CO

Western Express Day #1
June 1, 2021
Pueblo, CO to Westcliffe, CO - 57 Miles
Start 12:26PM, Finish 9:03PM
Ride Time: 7:11
Ascent: 4917'
Descent: 1685'
Tour Total Miles: 57

The Western Express route begins in Pueblo Colorado on the edge of the Rocky Mountains, at an elevation of 4,692′. The route has four map sections and I was beginning on section four. The rental car drop off went smoothly. I clipped everything onto my bike and rode into town for breakfast. I was wearing my cycling shorts and short-sleeve jersey. I went to B Street Cafe and they were no longer serving breakfast, so I got a cheese burger and fries. While I was waiting I adjusted my handlebar bag mount, dug out my sunscreen, and looked for my UV covers. I was dismayed to realize that my UV covers were missing. I was already severely sunburned from my hike up to Flattop. I frantically searched for sporting good shops and found one close by on Main Street. Great Divide Ski Bike & Hike had arm covers which would get me over the Rockies. I left the business district and crossed the Arkansas River. There would be limited services for the next 57 miles. Leaving town I got turned around at the city park just as I had in 2018 when I came this way on the TransAm. I was on State Highway 96 headed west toward the mountains. There were dark gray clouds in the sky and rainfall to the north. I passed a galloping herd of antelope to my right.

I’ve been following eastbound cyclist Melissa whose path would cross with mine in about a week. She was blogging at: https://chroniclesofamelissa.wordpress.com Melissa sent me the latest updates on the Route 50 construction west of Sapinero. Philip, another east-bounder, reported that they were not letting cyclists through the 4 mile construction area. He was able to put his bike in the back of a motorist’s vehicle.

The storm shifted south and thundering was soon overhead. I began feeling cold raindrops and there was no place to go for cover. Eventually the rain passed. There wasn’t much of a shoulder, and I was pedaling on the white line. I was passing grazing pastures, scrub, and badland features. The mountains were before me. I crossed into Custer County and began the first serious climb. I slipped into granny gear and bid the prairie farewell. It was about a 1000’ ascent, and a slight drizzle kept me cool.

The rain started to get heavy at Wetmore so I pulled under the awning of an old abandoned steakhouse. My phone screen was covered with rain drops and Cyclemeter accidentally quit. This meant that today’s GPS data would be in two parts, and I’d have to photoshop the map. I put on my rain pants, jacket, and waterproof socks. It was another 26 miles to my destination in Westcliff, with a lot more climbing. I could hear thundering in the distance. I thought about spending the night under the awning, but it was only 4pm, there were No Trespassing signs, and I wanted to make my goal. I passed the intersection for State Route 67 which headed north to CaƱon city. This was the TransAm route that I had taken in 2018. Going forward, I would now be forging new territory.

I called the hotel in Estes Park and they found my UV covers, which they’d be mailing to Brooklyn. The rain got heavy and I was cold. On a long uphill a motorist pulled over beside me and asked if I wanted a ride. No thank you. That would be cheating. I entered San Isabell National Forest and North Hardscrabble Creek was running beside me to the left. The rain finally broke.

I kept climbing and the sun reappeared. I got hot so I pulled over to remove my rain jacket and rain pants. There was a steep twisty turvy section and I had to use my granny gear. Towards the top it was considerably cooler. I was now seeing aspen trees. I left the National Forest, and passed the junction with Colorado State Route 165. I was now 17 miles from my destination. It was 6 PM.

I was at 8360' and kept on climbing. It was chilly, but the workout was keeping me warm. It started to sprinkle again, and I was getting cold so I pulled over to put on my rain pants and jacket. My feet were now cold. I was still climbing and was startled by a bunny that darted out from the side of the road. I finally reached the top of the ridge. I was at 9100’ and a dramatic wall of snow-capped mountains appeared to the west.

I now had a slight descent and a headwind. I was freezing so I pulled over to put on my sweater, balaclava, and winter gloves. I hit 29 miles an hour on the downhill, and welcomed the following climb because I was freezing. I went 32 miles an hour down the next hill followed by 30 mph on the following. This was why I got a new brake pads before the tour. A herd of antelope ran across the highway in front of me.

I finally reached Silver Cliff. I had returned to civilization and once again had phone service. The sweeping mountain views to the west were astonishing. I stopped at Tony’s Mountain Pizza, where I ordered a mountain pizza, a garden salad, and several beers. There was a storm coming in and a forecasted low of 39°F, so I called the Courtyard Country Inn and reserved a room. I rode the last mile through the rain.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Western Express Day #25 Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA

Western Express Day #6 Telluride, CO to Dolores, CO

Western Express Day #4 Sapinero, CO to Ridgway, CO