Western Express Day #24 Plymouth, CA to Sacramento, CA

Western Express Day #24
June 24 2021
Plymouth, CA to Sacramento, CA 54 Miles
Start 6:17AM, Finish 11:10AM
Ride Time: 4:36
Ascent: 463'
Descent: 1055'
Tour Total Miles: 1589

I slept well last night in a cow pasture outside of Plymouth. Last evening on Old Sacramento Road I had noticed a few mailboxes and a small wooden plank bridge that crossed a tiny creek. On the other side was a low-tech cattle grate and a cow pasture. There was a small gravel drive that meandered up away from the bridge. Near the creek I spotted a pile of turkey feathers and noticed a large fallen tree trunk with a flat grassy area behind it. I could tell that, as soon as the sun went down, my tent wouldn't be visible back there. In fact, a vehicle came through after dark and didn’t spot me. There were cow patties in the pasture, but the cows couldn't get behind the log where I camped. It had been warm and I set up my tent without the fly, because I figured it wouldn't get cooler. After the sun set, a dog from across the road barked for hours. This morning at first light, the barking began again and was joined by rooster cock-a-doodle-doo-ing. It was early and I didn’t want to be discovered. It had gotten chilly during the night and I had used my unzipped sleeping bag. I packed up quickly, and took the tour’s first outdoor poop. I donned my sweater before I set off.

Old Sacramento Road was tree-lined and I was riding in the shade. It was chilly pedaling through the golden rolling hills that were peppered with cedar and oak trees. I took a right on Highway 16 and had a nice wide shoulder. Here I lost the trees that had been blocking the sun.

I crossed the Arkansas River (the California version), and then I crossed the Sacramento County line. I entered Rancho Murieta, population 5640 and elevation 160’, and I crossed the Cosumnes River. I had been expecting more services in Rancho Murieta, and after a quarter of a mile, I realized that the Chevron Burger King combo was my only breakfast option. I doubled back and ordered myself an egg and bacon croissan’wich, along with a Starbucks Frappuccino and an orange juice. I used the bathroom to tidy up.

I headed back out on Highway 16 and took a right on Stonehouse Road. After a few miles I almost missed the turn for Scott Road. It was two lane with a lot of motor traffic, considering how rural it was. There was no shoulder and I got honked at by a motorist. That was two California. You were now the tour leader of jerk motorists. Plant Guy from Crazy Guy chimed in last night with wildflower ID’s  for yesterday’s posts.

I took a left on White Rock Road. There were large heavy-duty power lines leading from the mountains to Sacramento. I took a right on Prairie City Road and entered Folsom, population 7525 and elevation 287’, and immortalized by the great Johnny Cash.

I crossed over US 50, which at this point was a giant six lane freeway. I cycled past a ginormous Intel campus. Prairie City Road was now four lanes of divided traffic. I took a left on Iron Point Road, and crossed a commuter rail line and major highway before getting on a really nice bike path. The American River bike Trail would take me all the way to Sacramento, and it was awesome. As urban trails can be, it was a little confusing with offshoots and connectors. It basically followed the American River. There were many cyclists, runners, and walkers out enjoying the morning. 

The American River was the largest river I’d seen since the Colorado. It was damed at Folsom to create the sprawling Sacramento State Aquatic Center. Even below the dam there was a vigorous flow. A lot of people were fishing. I noticed nice homes high up on the other side of the river.

I crossed over a large pedestrian bridge to the north side of the river. A cyclist called out, “Where are you headed?”. “San Francisco”. “Where are you coming from?”. “Pueblo Colorado”. “Wow!”. I started seeing palm trees. The bike trail paralleled an aqueduct and power lines. I came to an area that had recently burned, and I crossed underneath Interstate 80.

I crossed the Jibboom Street Bridge back over to the south side of the American River to the old part of Sacramento. There I met touring tandem cyclists Jack and Hannah from Littleton Colorado. They had been touring in Utah and had been affected by the high temperatures and fires. They drove across Nevada, and were now touring again, riding today from Davis to Folsom. I have a Cannondale tandem at home and I admired their belt drive.

I checked into the somewhat sketchy Quality Inn. There was hair in the bathtub - ewwwh! It had looked good on the map, right next to the river and bike trail. I set up my camping stuff to dry, and turned on the AC. My silk liner smelled rank, but I would be sleeping in beds for the rest of the tour. I shaved and showered. The water was brown from my dirty skin. Going forward I would be level one. I then rode over to Bike Dog Brewery and ordered a Misnomer and a hotdog, and I edited this report. Afterwards I rode along the Sacramento River and then up by the State Capital and over to Alaro Brewery where I ordered a Three Crows Black Lager and a Hogs and Rocks, pork cheeks, clams, and potatoes. I later enjoyed the fish tacos and a few IPAs before riding back to the hotel.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Western Express Day #6 Telluride, CO to Dolores, CO

Western Express Day #25 Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA

Western Express Day #4 Sapinero, CO to Ridgway, CO