Western Express Day #25 Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA

Western Express Day #25
June 25 2021
Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA - 53 Miles
Start 8:04AM, Finish 1:59PM
Ride Time: 5:03
Ascent: 548'
Descent: 517'
Tour Total Miles: 1657

I fell into a really deep sleep last night in room 106 at the Quality Inn in Sacramento. The  intermittent loud compressor noise from the AC was irritating. I woke up early with the light coming in through the window slats and turned over to get more sleep. I forgot to document the room. The best shot would have been yesterday afternoon with the tent set up and all of my camping gear airing out. Today would be a short day. Tour endings are always bittersweet.

I left the hotel and rejoined the bike trail, and retraced part of yesterday’s ride to Bike Dog. I rode along the Sacramento River and passed the tourist area with the steamboat and old train cars. In addition to being a state capital, Sacramento is a river town, a railroad town, and an inland port. It features palm and cypress trees. I crossed the Tower Bridge into West Sacramento and rode down West Capitol Avenue. Everywhere on the streets were rental bikes and scooters.

I pedaled through the industrial part of town and reached I-80 where I got on the Roland Hensley Bicycle Pathway. From looking at my maps, I had been worried that I’d be riding directly on the Interstate, but the path was to the side. I had the protection of a Jersey barrier, yet the roar of traffic was deafening. The Interstate rose up onto the Blecher-Freeman Memorial Causeway over the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area. There were beautiful fields of golden grass down below.

The bike path ended and I found myself on State Highway 32A. I was sandwiched between a commuter rail line and I-80. I entered Davis, population 68,543, and home of UC Davis. It had a great vibe and the streets were packed with restaurant stalls. I stopped at Cafe Bernardo, a popular breakfast place, where I ordered an avocado and bacon omelette, cappuccino, and orange juice. They had bicycle wheels hanging from the ceiling as part of the lighting. Davis is a bicycle friendly town. I admired Mark Grieve's and Ilana Spector's ‘Davis Needle’, an obelisk created out of reclaimed bicycle parts. I passed an electronic cyclist counter that displayed the number of cyclists who had passed today, yesterday, and the current year.

I followed an amazing trail alongside Russell Boulevard that led me west out of town. Dozens of fellow cyclists were out enjoying the bike path. Far to the west I could see the coastal mountain range. I was soon amidst fruit orchards and almond trees.

The bike path ended and I found myself on Putah Creek Road winding through orchards along with other cyclists. I crossed over the Putah Creek Bridge which was covered with colorful graffiti. I passed a field full of blooming sunflowers, and then an olive tree grove. I saw a giant bicycle that a farmer had erected. This route had once been part of California bike race. A day cyclist told me that it was supposed to go up to 107°F here this weekend. Another cyclist said that the headwinds here could be brutal. I was having an easy go of it. Touring is like threading a needle. I had a nice wide shoulder that was designated as a bike lane.

I passed underneath Interstate 505, and then went off route crossing over the Putah Creek into the town of Winters. I stopped at a convenience store to purchase a Gatorade. Everyone was still wearing masks here. I crossed back over the bridge and continued west on Putah Creek Road. I then took a left on Pleasant Valley Road. I was cutting across the Vaca Mountain Range through a valley. I rode around the outskirts of Vacaville and then took a right on Lyons Road which saddled up against Interstate 80. I could see a jet taking off in the distance, and realized that would be me in a couple of days.

I stopped to flip my map panel, and a motorist stopped to ask if I was lost. I was five miles from my destination. Fairfield seemed like a lot of ugly bric brac housing developments surrounded by beautiful golden hills. I made my way to the Motel 6, where I had called and requested an early check-in. I stopped first at a Burger King for a large Coke on Ice.

I checked into the motel, and carried my bike up the stairs to the second floor. I took a shower and took care of some business. I then rode across the tracks to the town of Suisun to visit True Symmetry Brewery, where I ordered a few pints of Perfect Tuesday, and edited this report.


















Comments

  1. Almost to your destination! Must feel good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The endings are always bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited when I saw the bike-parts needle! There is one in Santa Rosa that Ken installed and managed the landscaping around for years...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Western Express Day #6 Telluride, CO to Dolores, CO

Western Express Day #2 Westcliffe, CO to Maysville, CO